CHOCOLATE FUDGE- makes 1 kg
Unsweetened cooking chocolate - 250 gm
Water - 1/4 cup
Condensed milk - 3 tins
Sugar - 2 & 1/2 cups
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Butter - 120 gm
Vanilla essence - 2 tsp
- Boil water in a double boiler or a vessel. When the water starts boiling, lower the flame to simmer, place the saucepan with the chocolate over the water and melt it. Remove when melted and stir with a spoon vigourously.
- Add condensed milk, sugar and salt to the melted chocolate. Place over moderate heat and stir continuously until the mixture comes to a boil. Continue stirring till a candy thermometer registers 120 degrees C or a soft ball.
- Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla essence.
- Beat the fudge with a electric beater until smooth and creamy.
- When it loses its gloss, turn fudge onto a lightly buttered pan. Spread evenly with a spatula.
- Allow the fudge to cool before cutting into squares.