Brown chole - 250 gms
Onion - 1 (large) - chopped
Tomatoes - 2 (medium) - chopped
Turmeric - half tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder - 1 tsp
Garam powder - half tsp
Chole masala (Everest) - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - half tsp
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
Cumin seed (jeera) whole - half tsp
Cinnamon - half inch
Clove - 2
Salt - to taste
Cooking oil - 1 and half tbsp
Water - 2 glasses or to cover the channa
- Soak the channa overnight in a bowl of water. Strain out the water the next morning.
- Heat the oil in a vessel /pressure cooker. Add the cumin seeds when the oil is warm so that they don't burn (gives a bitter flavour when burnt) and the cloves and cinnamon. Fry well.
- Now put in the chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and fry well adding a little water at a time.
- Slowly mix in the masalas (spices) , ginger-garlic paste and blend it well.
- Add salt.
- Put in the brown channa and mix well with the spices.
- Add sufficient water to cover the channa and cover till cooked / put the lid of the pressure cooker on and cook for 5 whistles.
- When done, check for gravy quantity. If preffered dry, boil a little more till thickness required.
Let me know how you enjoyed this wonderful dish!!!