METHI ALOO - A favourite during the winter months but a dish which everyone can enjoy during the other months too, if one is able to get fresh fenugreek/methi.
Methi / fenugreek leaves - 250 gms
Potatoes - 2 (medium, chopped)
Ginger - garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Green chillies - 1 (chopped)
Onion - 1 (large, chopped)
Turmeric / haldi powder - 1 tsp
Cumin / jeera powder - 1 tsp
Coriander / dhania powder - 1 tsp
Oil - for cooking
Salt - to taste
1. Cut the methi / fenugreek leaves into small pieces, discarding stalks. Wash well and rinse under the tap.
2. Peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes.
3. Heat oil, add chopped onion and fry well. Add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies and fry.
4. Add the spices (masalas) and fry till oil separates.
5. Mix in the chopped potatoes and cook over a medium flame, stirring from time to time.
6. Throw in the chopped methi and fry for 3 - 4 minutes.
7. Lower the flame and add 3 - 4 tbsp of water and salt to taste. Cover with a lid and allow to cook well.
8. Cook till the potatoes are done and the preparation is dry.