Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Kesari

I got this recipe from a Milkmaid recipe book which has it listed as Kesari and which I followed to the last detail and am posting it as it is in the recipe book. This is something which I made on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary. I had saved the photographs. I wasn't blogging then and never had the faintest idea about foodie blogs or what was blogging. But I am glad that I have the photo to upload here now.

KESARI

Preparation time : 5 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
To serve : 8

Ingredients :-

Milkmaid - 1/2 tin
Rava (Sooji) - 1 cup
Ghee - 3/4 cup
Water - 2 cups
Kesari powder /yellow food colour - 1 tsp
Cashewnuts - 8 - 10
Raisins - 1 1/2 tbsp

Method :-
  1. Heat ghee in a kadai.
  2. Fry cashewnuts and raisins till light brown and keep aside.
  3. Add rava (sooji) to the remaining ghee and fry till light brown.
  4. Add kesari powder dissolved in 2 cups of water. Keep stirring.
  5. Reduce heat. When all the water has been absorbed , add Milkmaid. Stir well till traces of ghee begin to show at the sides of the pan (Note: this is the hardest part. My hubby helped me with this.)
  6. Spread on a greased plate, top with nuts and raisins if desired.
  7. (Note: Cool at room temperature otherwise place in the fridge for half an hour.) Cut into diamond shaped pieces . (Note : its easier to cut this way)
  8. Serve warm or cold. (Warm up in the microwave)

Milkmaid Quick Tip - A few drops of liquid orang-red colour may be used if kesari powder is not available.

No comments: